If a friend tells you that they have experienced sexual violence there are a few things you can do to be supportive and help them:
- Be prepared to believe them – don’t question their judgement.
- The most important thing is to listen and not to ask lots of questions.
- Don’t ask them how much they’ve had to drink or question their behaviour.
- Respect boundaries – they may not want a hug at this time. Always ask them first.
- Help your friend find expert support.
- Talk to your friend about the services in the back of this booklet and support them to contact them if this is what they want.
- Go with them if they want you to, but always be prepared to leave when appropriate. Always ask. It’s up to them to decide what to do next.